Being gluten free means that you don’t eat any foods that contain the protein gluten. Gluten is found in various grains, like wheat, barley, and rye. Eating gluten free means cutting out a lot of common items from your diet, like bread, pasta, and certain cereals. However, there are plenty of delicious foods that are naturally gluten free, such as fruits, vegetables, beans, stud meats, fish, nuts, dairy, and some grains, like white rice and quinoa. Going gluten free has many health benefits, such as clear skin, more energy, and improved digestion. When you make this lifestyle change, you might be surprised at how much better you feel.
Try this as your next healthier meal option to serve up for you and your loved ones:
1 cup cooked quinoa
1/3 cup rolled oats
1 small onion, diced
1 small red bell pepper, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 cup flaxseed meal
1/2 cup diced mushrooms
1/3 cup cooked cannellini beans, mashed
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
2. In a large bowl, combine the quinoa, oats, onion, red bell pepper, garlic, smoked paprika, cumin, sea salt, and black pepper. Mix together until combined.
3. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat and add the quinoa mixture. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are softened, about 6 minutes.
4. Add the flaxseed meal, mushrooms, and mashed beans and stir until combined.
5. Use a large spoon to form 4-6 patties and place them on a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
6. Serve the veggie quinoa burgers with your favorite toppings and condiments. Enjoy!