Being gluten free means following a diet that excludes the proteins found in wheat, barley and rye. Gluten is found in many foods like bread, crackers, pasta and cookies. To benefit from a gluten-free lifestyle, it is important to get creative and explore different options. Eating plenty of fruits, vegetables, gluten-free grains, legumes, nuts and seeds will give you the important vitamins and minerals you need. Examples of gluten-free grains are brown and wild rice, amaranth, buckwheat, millet, quinoa and sorghum. Other delicious gluten-free options include eggs, meat, poultry, seafood, dairy, potatoes, fruits and vegetables. Living gluten-free can provide many health benefits. These can include improved digestion, increased energy, increased focus and improved mood. It can also help alleviate symptoms associated with IBS and Celiac Disease. Making the switch to a gluten-free lifestyle is not easy, but the rewards can be amazing.
Try this as your next healthier meal option to serve up for you and your loved ones:
• ½ cup cooked quinoa
• 1 of your favorite roasted vegetables, i.e. diced eggplant or squash
• ¼ cup cooked chickpeas
• ¼ cup diced tomatoes
• ¼ cup diced cucumber
• ¼ cup diced red onion
• 2 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese
• 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
• 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
• 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
• ¼ teaspoon sea salt
• ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1. Place the cooked quinoa in a medium-sized bowl.
2. Add the roasted vegetables, chickpeas, tomatoes, cucumber, red onion, feta cheese, parsley, lemon juice, olive oil, sea salt, and black pepper.
3. Gently mix all ingredients together.
4. Divide the mixture into two serving bowls and enjoy!