Being gluten free means avoiding any food that has wheat, barley, or rye, as these ingredients need to be eliminated from the diet to reduce the risk of triggering any health problems associated with gluten. Eating a gluten free diet consists of vegetables, fruits, legumes, nuts, and gluten free grains such as quinoa, buckwheat, and brown rice. This type of diet can provide many health benefits such as reducing inflammation, calming digestive issues, increased energy, aiding in weight management, and even a clearer complexion. Eating gluten free helps to better maintain a healthy weight due to the nutrient density of the foods consumed. After adopting a gluten free lifestyle, it is important to pay close attention to your body’s reaction so that you know if this approach is the right one for you.
Try this as your next healthier meal option to serve up for you and your loved ones:
-2 tablespoons olive oil
-1 yellow onion, diced
-1 red bell pepper, diced
-2 cloves garlic, minced
-1 cup long grain brown rice
-1 can diced tomatoes, undrained
-1 3/4 cups vegetable broth
-1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
-1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
-1/4 teaspoon sea salt
-1/4 teaspoon black pepper
-1 15-ounce can of black beans, rinsed and drained
-3 cups of chopped vegan sausage or vegan-friendly chopped chicken
-1 cup frozen bell pepper & onion stir fry vegetables
-1/4 cup chopped parsley
-Hot sauce, to taste
1. Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat.
2. Add the onions and cook until softened and lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
3. Add the bell peppers and garlic and sauté for another 3 minutes.
4. Add the rice and stir to coat in the oil.
5. Add the diced tomatoes, vegetable broth, Cajun seasoning, smoked paprika, salt and pepper and stir to combine.
6. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and cover. Simmer covered until the rice is fully cooked, about 25 minutes.
7. Add the black beans, vegan sausage, bell pepper & onion stir fry vegetables and stir to combine. Taste and adjust seasonings if needed.
8. Cover and let simmer for an additional 10-15 minutes, or until the vegan sausage is cooked through.
9. stir in the parsley and hot sauce to taste.
10. Serve with hot sauce on the side. Enjoy!