Being gluten-free is a lifestyle in which people eliminate or restrict consumption of foods that contain gluten in order to maintain a healthier diet. Gluten is a type of protein found in grains such as wheat, spelt, rye, and barley. Common gluten-free foods include vegetable, fruits, nuts, legumes, seeds, lean proteins, and most dairy products. Since gluten-free foods lack wheat, they are generally not as high in carbohydrates, providing a more balanced diet that helps to promote a feeling of fullness for longer, manages blood sugar levels, and contains essential vitamins and minerals. There are also many health benefits associated with a gluten-free lifestyle, such as overall better digestive health, increased energy, improved mental clarity, and healthier skin, hair, and nails. If you’ve never tried the gluten-free lifestyle before, I completely understand. It might seem daunting at first, but I promise you that it gets easier with time and can have wonderful benefits that you may not have realized before.
Try this as your next healthier meal option to serve up for you and your loved ones:
-1 tablespoon olive oil
-1 onion, diced
-2 cloves garlic, minced
-1 red pepper, diced
-2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
-2 cups water
-1 tablespoon thyme
-1 teaspoon smoked paprika
-1 teaspoon chili powder
-1 teaspoon sea salt
-1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
-1 can light coconut milk
1. Heat oil in a large pan over medium-high heat.
2. Add onion and cook for 3-4 minutes until softened.
3. Add garlic, red pepper, and sweet potatoes. Cook for an additional 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.
4. Add water, thyme, smoked paprika, chili powder, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 20-25 minutes, until sweet potatoes are softened.
5. Remove from heat and stir in coconut milk.
6. Using an immersion blender, carefully puree the soup until it reaches your desired consistency.
7. Taste and adjust the seasoning if desired.
8. Serve hot and enjoy!