Being gluten free means you don’t eat anything that contains the proteins gluten and gliadin. Gluten is usually found in wheat, barley, rye, and some oats. As such, foods like bread, cake, pasta, and some grains are off limits. Fortunately, there are many healthy and delicious alternatives! For example, quinoa, corn, rice, potatoes, nuts, beans, and fresh fruits and vegetables are all naturally gluten-free. When dining out, even fast food restaurants are beginning to offer tasty options for the gluten free consumer. The health benefits of going gluten free are highly individual. Some people report feeling more energetic and having improved digestion when they eliminate gluten from their diet. Other benefits may include improved sleep, fewer headaches, and alleviation of gastrointestinal issues. Whether you are gluten free by choice or out of necessity, with the right education and planning you can feel great and enjoy a variety of delicious food!
Try this as your next healthier meal option to serve up for you and your loved ones:
– 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
– 1 medium onion, diced
– 2 cloves garlic, minced
– 1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
– 1 teaspoon ground coriander
– 1 teaspoon ground cumin
– 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
– 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
– 1 small jalapeno, seeded and minced (optional)
– 1 (14-ounce) can coconut milk
– 2 tablespoons tomato paste
– 1 cup vegetable broth
– 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
– 1/2 teaspoon salt
– 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
– 2 cups baby spinach
– 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
– Lime wedges for serving
1. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring often, until lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
2. Add ginger, coriander, cumin, turmeric, and cardamom. Cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute more.
3. Add jalapeno, if using, and cook, stirring, until softened, about 2 minutes more.
4. Add coconut milk, tomato paste, vegetable broth, quinoa, and salt. Bring to a simmer, reduce heat to low, and cover. Cook until quinoa is tender, about 20 minutes.
5. Add chickpeas and spinach and cook until spinach is wilted, about 5 minutes more.
6. Serve topped with cilantro and a squirt of lime juice. Enjoy!