When it comes to food, being gluten free can seem like a challenge. Even though gluten is found in many of the foods we love, there are still plenty of delicious and nutritious foods around that are naturally gluten free. Gluten free foods can range from fresh fruit and vegetables to wholesome nuts, seeds, legumes and grains such as quinoa and brown rice. Not only are these gluten free alternatives incredibly tasty, but they can also provide a range of health benefits. For people with wheat allergies or Coeliac disease, eating gluten free can significantly reduce inflammation and may even help to reduce the risk of some illnesses such as diabetes and heart disease. Overall, a gluten free diet is a great way to make sure you’re getting the vitamins and minerals you need, and can lead to a much healthier lifestyle.
Try this as your next healthier meal option to serve up for you and your loved ones:
• 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into cubes
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 teaspoon dried oregano
• 1 teaspoon dried thyme
• 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 cup uncooked white rice
• 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
• 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
• 2 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley, for garnish
1. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken cubes and cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through.
2. Add the garlic, oregano, thyme, pepper, and salt and cook for 1 minute more, stirring constantly.
3. Add the rice, chicken broth, and lemon juice. Stir to combine.
4. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to low, cover the skillet with a lid, and let cook for 20 minutes, or until the rice is tender and has absorbed all of the liquid.
5. Fluff the mixture with a fork and season with additional salt and pepper, if desired.
6. Garnish with freshly chopped parsley and serve hot. Enjoy!