Being gluten-free is all about making healthier choices for your body and eliminating certain food products from your diet. Gluten is a protein found in wheat, rye and barley, and it can be a real problem for those of us with celiac disease or gluten sensitivity, as consuming these grains can actually damage our bodies. Eating a gluten-free diet doesn’t have to be a challenge though! There are lots of delicious and healthy foods to choose from, from proteins like poultry, fish, and lean meats, to fruits and vegetables, to grains and starches such as quinoa, rice, and corn. Many gluten-free foods offer plenty of new flavors, vitamins, and nutrients that were otherwise unavailable, making it an exciting dietary choice for many. Additionally, gluten-free eating helps those who suffer from digestive problems, as it eliminates gas and bloating, and has been linked to overall health and wellbeing. All in all, eating a gluten-free diet may prove to be a nutritional journey filled with delicious, nutritious, and safe food choices.
Try this as your next healthier meal option to serve up for you and your loved ones:
-1 cup uncooked quinoa
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
1 cup frozen corn
1 small onion, diced
1 garlic clove, minced
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
1/2 cup avocado, diced
1 lime, juiced
1. Cook the quinoa according to the package instructions.
2. Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, bell peppers, and spices. Cook for about 7 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
3. Add the rinsed black beans and corn. Cook for another 3-5 minutes.
4. In a large bowl, combine the cooked quinoa with the cooked vegetables.
5. Top with cilantro, avocado, and lime juice. Enjoy!