Being gluten free means avoiding consumption of wheat, barley, and rye, as they contain a protein called gluten which can be difficult for some people to digest. However, this doesn’t mean you have to go without tasty food – there are plenty of naturally gluten free foods that you can enjoy including fresh vegetables, fruits, tubers such as sweet potatoes, fish, eggs, nuts, seeds, gluten free grains such as quinoa, millet, and buckwheat, dairy products, legumes, and alternative flours such as coconut and almond flour. Not only are these food tasty, they can also be great for your health too! A gluten free diet can help to reduce inflammation, aid digestion, and improve nutrient absorption. It can also reduce the risk of chronic illness, such as diabetes and cardiovascular disease. Going gluten free doesn’t have to be difficult, and the benefits definitely make it worth it!
Try this as your next healthier meal option to serve up for you and your loved ones:
1 sweet red pepper, cut into 2 inch pieces
1 yellow pepper, cut into 2 inch pieces
1 large red onion, cut into 2 inch pieces
1 zucchini, cut into ½ inch slices
1 small eggplant, cut into ½ inch slices
1 package (8 ounces) halloumi cheese, cut into ½ inch cubes
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon dried basil
¼ teaspoon sea salt
1. Preheat grill to medium high heat.
2. In a large bowl combine the marinade ingredients and whisk until combined.
3. Place vegetables and halloumi cheese cubes into prepared bowl with the marinade and gently toss to evenly coat.
4. Thread vegetables, halloumi cheese cubes onto 8-10 metal or wooden skewers.
5. Grill skewers on preheated grill 8-10 minutes turning occasionally until vegetables and halloumi cheese cubes are lightly charred.
6. Serve warm. Enjoy!