Going gluten free is becoming increasingly popular because of the health benefits that come along with it. Being gluten free means avoiding foods that contain gluten – a protein found in wheat, barley, rye, malt, brewer’s yeast and some additives. This includes breads, cereal, cakes, pastries, and many processed foods. Replacing these foods with gluten-free alternatives, like quinoa, rice, and buckwheat, not only benefit your overall health, but can also offer new levels of taste and textures. In addition to great taste, there are a number of potential health benefits to being gluten free. It can help reduce gastrointestinal issues, reduce inflammation, and even benefit people living with diabetes or those wanting to lose weight. Going gluten-free isn’t easy, since it can be hard to give up some favorite foods, but the health benefits and range of tasty food alternatives make it worth it.
Try this as your next healthier meal option to serve up for you and your loved ones:
-2 large vine-ripened tomatoes
-2 large fresh mozzarella balls
-1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
-3 cloves garlic, minced
-2 Tbsp Balsamic vinegar
-1/4 tsp kosher salt
-1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
-16 to 20 fresh basil leaves
-20 wooden skewers
1. Preheat the grill to medium-high heat.
2. Cut the tomatoes and mozzarella into 1-inch pieces and place them in a bowl. Drizzle olive oil over them and toss to coat.
3. In a small bowl, mix together garlic, balsamic vinegar, salt, and pepper.
4. Thread 4 to 5 pieces of tomato and mozzarella onto each skewer, alternating between the two. Place the skewers on the preheated grill and cook for 3 minutes on each side.
5. Drizzle the prepared dressing over the skewers and top with fresh basil leaves. Serve immediately. Enjoy!