Being gluten free has become a popular lifestyle choice for people today. But, what exactly does it mean to be gluten free and what are the benefits? Well, being gluten free means avoiding eating foods that contain gluten. Gluten is a protein found in grain-based foods such as wheat, barley, rye, and oats, so these foods must be excluded from a gluten free diet. Thankfully, there are lots of delicious alternatives that can be substitued in for these grains – brown rice, quinoa, corn, buckwheat, almond flour, and many more! Eating a gluten free diet can bring lots of health benefits as avoiding gluten can help reduce inflammation, improve digestion, improve energy levels, and help to heal digestive disorders. Plus, with so many creative and tasty recipes that don’t involve gluten, eating gluten free can be a fun and delicious experience!
Try this as your next healthier meal option to serve up for you and your loved ones:
4 large portobello mushrooms
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
12 – 16 stalks of asparagus, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1 shallot, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 cup chopped almonds or pine nuts
1/4 cup crumbled goat cheese
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Brush portobello mushrooms with olive oil, season with salt and pepper, and place, gill side up, on a baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes or until tender.
3. Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the asparagus, shallot, and garlic, and sauté for 5 minutes or until asparagus is tender.
4. Stir in the nuts and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
5. Remove from heat and stir in the goat cheese and black pepper.
6. Place the portobello mushrooms on a plate and fill with the asparagus mixture.
7. Serve warm.