Being gluten free is an important lifestyle choice for many people. Gluten-free eating is defined as abstaining from wheat, barley, rye, and other grains that contain gluten proteins. This means replacing wheat, barley, rye and their derivatives with gluten-free grains and starches like brown rice, quinoa, corn and millet. It also includes refined grains made with these types of flours, as well as fruits, vegetables, legumes and dairy products. Being gluten free can be especially beneficial for those who have a sensitivity or intolerance to gluten, as well as those with celiac disease. The health benefits of being gluten free include improvement in digestion, increased energy levels, improved gut health, and potentially reduced inflammation. Although going gluten free may seem restrictive at first, it is key to remember that there are many delicious and nourishing options available to make this lifestyle work for you.
Try this as your next healthier meal option to serve up for you and your loved ones:
• 6 bell peppers, cut lengthwise and cored, tops left attached
• 1 tsp olive oil
• 1 lb ground turkey
• ½ cup diced onion
• ½ cup diced celery
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 2 tsp Italian seasoning
• ½ tsp sea salt
• 1 (14 oz) can crushed tomatoes
• ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
• 2 tbsp vegan Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Over medium heat, heat olive oil in a large skillet.
3. Add the ground turkey, onion, celery, garlic, Italian seasoning and sea salt. Cook until the turkey is cooked through.
4. Remove from heat and add the crushed tomatoes, parsley, and vegan Parmesan cheese. Mix well.
5. Fill each pepper with the turkey mixture. Place the filled peppers onto a greased baking dish.
6. Bake in oven for 25 minutes. Serve warm. Enjoy!