It’s becoming increasingly popular to adopt a gluten free diet. To be gluten free means consuming food and drinks that don’t contain any gluten, such as wheat, barley and rye. Foods such as cereals, bread, couscous, and some sauces typically contain gluten, so those following a gluten free diet must be mindful of what they are eating. Fortunately, there’s a wide selection of gluten free foods on offer, including fruits and vegetables, nuts and seeds, eggs, meat, and dairy. There are also a number of fantastic alternative flours such as buckwheat, chickpea, teff, and quinoa which make baking more creative and enjoyable! Furthermore, studies suggest that staying away from gluten can improve digestion, reduce inflammation and improve your energy levels. All of these add to an overall healthier lifestyle.
Try this as your next healthier meal option to serve up for you and your loved ones:
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Salt and pepper, to taste
2 (8-ounce) jars salsa verde
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup shredded Mexican-style cheese
1/2 cup diced onions
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place chicken in a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
2. Spread salsa over chicken. Top with cream cheese.
3. In a medium bowl, mix together sour cream and Mexican-style cheese. Spread over cream cheese on top of casserole.
4. Sprinkle onions and cilantro on top.
5. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through (internal temperature of 165 degrees).
6. Serve with your favorite gluten-free sides. Enjoy!