Being gluten free means avoiding the consumption of anything containing gluten, which is a protein found in wheat, barley, and rye. Gluten free diets have become increasingly more popular, as many people have discovered the health benefits involved. Foods such as fruits, vegetables, dairy products, certain cereals, and quinoa are all gluten free. Going gluten free has been linked to numerous health benefits such as increased energy levels and improved digestion. Many individuals who are gluten sensitive or intolerant have experienced significant changes in their health by cutting out gluten from their diet. As someone who is gluten free myself, I have found that reducing gluten has made a positive impact on my health and wellbeing.
Try this as your next healthier meal option to serve up for you and your loved ones:
• 1 large eggplant, cut into 1/4-inch thick slices
2 cups gluten-free breadcrumbs
2 large eggs plus 1 large egg, beaten
1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon Sea Salt
1/4 teaspoon Black Pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 jar marinara sauce
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a shallow dish, combine the breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
3. Dip each slice of eggplant into the beaten eggs, and then coat both sides with the breadcrumb mixture. Place the eggplant slices on the lined baking sheet.
4. Bake in the preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes, until lightly golden and crisp.
5. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the marinara sauce to the skillet and bring to a simmer.
6. Place the eggplant slices in the sauce, and cover with a lid. Let the eggplant parmesan cook until the sauce begins to reduce, about 10 minutes.
7. Once the sauce is reduced, turn off the heat and top the eggplants with the mozzarella cheese. Place the skillet in the oven and let the cheese melt for about 5 minutes.
8. Serve warm with extra marinara sauce, if desired. Enjoy!