If you’re living the gluten-free life, you know how difficult it can be to avoid it. But in all honesty, being gluten-free can be beneficial for your health and general wellbeing. Gluten is a protein found in wheat, barley, and rye and is often added to food to give it a thick, chewy texture. By avoiding gluten, you avoid the inflammation these grains can cause in your body. Gluten can also lead to bloat, intestinal issues and a compromised immune system. Fortunately, there are many foods that are naturally gluten-free. Fruits and vegetables, most dairy products, and certain grains such as quinoa, amaranth, rice, corn, millet, and buckwheat are all safe to enjoy. You can also find lots of gluten-free alternatives to staple items such as bread, pasta, and pizza that are just as delicious. By eating gluten-free, you give your body a chance to reset and recover. Then it’s all about finding a balance of what gluten-free products make you feel your best, and which suit your taste buds the most.
Try this as your next healthier meal option to serve up for you and your loved ones:
-4 large zucchini, cut into ½ inch rounds
4 large tomatoes, cut into ½ inch slices
-1 cup gluten-free breadcrumbs
-2 eggs, beaten
-1 teaspoon garlic powder
-½ teaspoon sea salt
-¼ teaspoon black pepper
-2 tablespoons olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. In a shallow dish, combine the breadcrumbs, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
3. Dip each zucchini slice in the beaten egg, then dredge in the breadcrumb mixture.
4. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
5. Fry the zucchini slices in the oil till golden brown on each side (about 3-4 minutes).
6. Place zucchini slices on a greased baking sheet.
7. Top each with a slice of tomato.
8. Bake in preheated oven for about 20 minutes until the zucchini and tomatoes are tender.
9. Serve hot with your favorite side dish. Enjoy!