Being gluten free means having to be mindful of what you eat on a regular basis. It entails avoiding certain types of foods and ingredients, such as wheat, barley, and rye. Eating gluten-free can be difficult for some, but the health benefits far outweigh any challenges! Eating a gluten-free diet has been credited with improving digestion, reducing inflammation and risk of chronic diseases, increasing energy levels, and improving mental clarity. some gluten-free staples are fruits, vegetables, grains like quinoa, nuts, seeds, eggs, legumes, and dairy. There are also plenty of options available for indulgences like gluten-free sweets, baked goods, and snacks. Eating gluten-free doesn’t have to be boring, and you can craft creative and delicious meals that are healthy too!
Try this as your next healthier meal option to serve up for you and your loved ones:
-2 tablespoons olive oil
-1 onion, diced
-1 teaspoon garlic, minced
-1 teaspoon ginger, minced
-1 tablespoon curry powder
-1/2 teaspoon turmeric
-1/2 teaspoon cumin
-1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
-1 can (15 oz) coconut milk
-1 cup dried green/red/brown lentils
-1 can (14 oz) diced tomatoes
-1/4 teaspoon salt
-2 cups vegetable broth
-1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1. Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté for 5 minutes, or until softened and beginning to brown.
2. Add the garlic, ginger, curry powder, turmeric, cumin and red pepper flakes and mix well. Cook for 1 minute.
3. Add the coconut milk, lentils, tomatoes and salt. Stir and bring to a boil.
4. Reduce heat to low and add the vegetable broth. Simmer for 25-30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the lentils are tender.
5. Garnish with chopped cilantro before serving. Enjoy!