Eating gluten free can be a great way to improve your overall health and well being. To be “gluten free” means that you are avoiding foods containing the protein, gluten, which is found in wheat, rye, barley, and other grains. Foods that are naturally gluten free include fruits, vegetables, beans, lentils, nuts, seeds, eggs, dairy, meats, and fish. Of course, there are a wide range of products in the grocery store labeled “Gluten Free” that make it even easier to stick with the diet. The health benefits of following a gluten free diet can be amazing. Many people report feeling more energetic and less bloated or lethargic after eliminating gluten from their diets. Additionally, you may be helping heal your digestive tract, as the body can be damaged by eating gluten which can lead to inflammation and pain.
Try this as your next healthier meal option to serve up for you and your loved ones:
For the Patties:
1 head cauliflower, chopped into florets
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 shallot, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon salt
¼ cup almond flour
3 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
1 teaspoon dried oregano
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 egg, lightly beaten
For the Sauce:
1 ripe avocado
2 tablespoons tahini
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons olive oil
½ teaspoon salt
1. Preheat oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a food processor, pulse the cauliflower florets several times until they are in very small pieces.
3. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the shallots and cook until soft, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic, cumin, coriander, and salt, and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
4. Add the cauliflower and cook for 5 minutes, stirring often. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
5. In a bowl, combine the cooked cauliflower, almond flour, parsley, oregano, cayenne, and egg. Stir until the ingredients are evenly distributed.
6. Using your hands, form the mixture into 12 patties and place them on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes, or until golden brown.
7. Meanwhile, make the sauce. In a food processor, combine the avocado, tahini, lemon juice, garlic, olive oil, and salt. Blend until smooth.
8. Serve the patties with the avocado-tahini sauce. Enjoy!