Going gluten free is an increasingly popular lifestyle choice for people looking to improve their health. Being gluten free means avoiding food and ingredients that contain the protein gluten. The foods considered to be gluten free are a variety of fruits, vegetables, grains, nuts, beans and legumes and some dairy, egg, and meat products. Health benefits from going gluten free can include weight loss, improved digestion, increased overall energy, better sleep, improved focus and cognitive function, clearer skin, and improved mood and mental health. If you’re choosing to go gluten free, I always suggest doing research and talking to your doctor to ensure you’re getting adequate nutrition. Making the right choices for your health is always a beneficial decision.
Try this as your next healthier meal option to serve up for you and your loved ones:
-1 lb ground turkey
-1 tablespoon canola oil
-1 large onion, thinly sliced
-1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
-1/2 teaspoon black pepper
-2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
-1/2 cup mayonnaise
-4 hamburger buns
1. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions, sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon of the salt, and cook, stirring frequently, until golden brown, about 7 minutes.
2. In a medium bowl, combine turkey, remaining salt, pepper, and balsamic vinegar. Form into 4 patties and add to skillet with onions.
3. Cook burgers until cooked through, about 4 minutes per side.
4. Meanwhile, combine mayonnaise and remaining balsamic vinegar in a small bowl and spread onto hamburger buns.
5. To assemble burgers, top each bun with a burger and caramelized onions. Serve.