Your cart is currently empty!
Herbal Wonders: How to Create a Balanced Garden for Healthy Eating and Healing
Grow a balanced herbal garden for deliciousness and healing.
Unlock the potential of nature’s remedies right in your home!
Herbal gardens are a great addition to any home, as they are an excellent way to eat healthily and keep up with home remedies for minor ailments. From simple fever reducers to homemade pain-relievers, herbs can be used for all sorts of medicinal purposes, and cultivating a balanced herbal garden is a great way to ensure that you always have the ingredients handy. Keep reading for a few tips on how to create a balanced herbal garden for healthy eating and healing.
- Choose herbs that you will enjoy using. When selecting herbs for you garden, make sure to pick ones that have appeal to you – herbs that you can either eat, brew as teas, or work into a healing mixture.
- Choose herbs that can thrive in the conditions you have. Different herbs prefer different climates, so if you’re planting an outdoor garden, make sure to ask your local nursery what plants work best in your area.
3. Consider companion planting. Some herbs can provide a good growing environment for others so when deciding which herbs to grow, consider which ones might compliment each other. For example, chives, mint, and rosemary can be planted together to create a flavorful blend.
4. Don’t forget to harvest. It’s important to harvest herbs at the right time to ensure that you reap the maximum flavor and medicinal benefits. Herbs are typically ready for harvesting about 7-10 days after flowering, and should be cut with a sharp knife before they go to seed.
5. Dry herbs for future use. If you plan to use the herbs in recipes or healing mixtures, they must be dried before they can be stored. There are several ways to dry herbs, but the most common methods are air-drying and dehydrating.
6. Store herbs properly. Once dried, herbs can be stored in mason jars in a dark, dry place. Be sure to label each jar so you know what’s inside.